Wednesday 20 January 2010

Magnicent cock, Breon O'Casey



We are trying, rather I am trying, as all house hold duties, unless they involve bricks and mortar, tend to fall on my shoulders these days, to find a dresser/armoire/fancy bookcase to house all of our books. One of my friends suggested The Conran Shop. Matilda and I set off yesterday on our quest. Although it was a fruitless search, on the fancy bookcase front, I did find this dove peace vase.

After all if one sets out to find something, and doesn't find it, one always tends to find something else, to feel like one has shopped. Yes? (And buying new boots for Matilda on the way doesn't count does it?) So there you have it. Although when I got home I realised why I liked it so much. Earlier in the week when I had been working on a painting, I had put down newspaper to catch my mess. And I had admired this advert for a exhibition;



What a magnificent cock I thought. This one was sculpted by Breon O'Casey, a man of Irish decent who now lives in Cornwall. Having spent most of his life working with sculptors Dame Barbara Hepworth and Denis Mitchell. His main passion has been and always will be painting and sculpture although he has made jewellery. When he reached seventy he decided enough was enough and now concentrates painting and sculpture. He has exhibited all over England and Ireland and still continues to do so.

So there you have it, one magnificent cock inspired me.