Wednesday 28 October 2009

My boys room






It took me a while to figure out what to do in Dillon’s space. Having spent my working life styling and buying for interior shops, I wanted something a little different from the same old cliché. He loves maps and exploring the outdoors, so I used this as a starting point. I cut and sewed fabric and paper maps to make his bunting.

I have always admired John Dilnots bird boxes.http://www.johndilnot.com/



They inspired me to create his name spelt out on his wall. I used wallpaper that I cut out to make animals and bugs inside each frame that relates to each of the letters in his name. (I had not heard of a narwhal before this.)
As for the bird houses, I made houses from any old box I could find, and covered them in maps, and found some little friends to live there. I told Dillon that we had to leave the window open and be really quiet and then the birds would fly in and live with him. I once saw him climb onto a chair to feed them!