Tuesday 29 December 2009

Forgotten pleasures


While I was putting my house back together piece by piece I came across this. I had forgotten that I had it, and when I found it, it made me smile. For who would have thought that not so long ago, ladies would have intentionally dropped their calling card at the feet of the gentleman they so favoured, once deposited the gentleman in question would have scooped it up and returned it, giving him a formidable excuse to speak to his admirer.

 Except this little green number is from a Walter to his Doris. (I swear I did not make this up!) He has lovingly embroidered their names, and judging on his wonky hand, I think he gave up on any message he wanted to carve, and left it at that. A simple gesture of love from Walter, in the hope that his Doris might enjoy a little hanky panky!